The first influence I have that led me to fall in love with the sixties generation is my parents. Even though they were just born around the mid to late sixties in different countries, my dad born in Portugal and mom born in Brazil, they were still grooving to 60’s classics as they were growing up. Music, like the Beatles, Stones, Bob Dylan, The Who, Ray Charles, and the Beach Boys are some of my parents’ favorite artists. And, if there is anyone that loves 60’s fashion as much as me, it’s my mom. I used to go in her closet (as daughters often do) to borrow clothes like peasant and floral tops, some which I even kept and am reminded that they’re hers every now and then.
On to the other people that taught me growing up: my teachers. My high school was founded by full-on hippies who were still rocking their over-sized glasses and long wavy hair while I was there. One of my favorite classes in high school was my American History class, not only because the teacher was a laid-back hippie, but because half of the year was dedicated to sixties pop culture. We made tie-dye shirts, love beads, and spray painted graffiti on posters. For the class, I also put on a sixties fashion show to flaunt bell-bottom pants, go-go boots, miniskirts, and plenty of fake fur (some of the clothes were, again, compliments of my mom’s closet).
Even though I’m not walking around campus with a fringed suede vest and a flower in my hair, I’m constantly looking back to the sixties to help me find myself today. Sometimes I’ll put on some peace sign earrings or a necklace but as long as I feel peace within, then I already feel inspired by my favorite generation.


0 comments:
Post a Comment